India as a country is known for its culinary diversity and people’s love for food. Though majority of the nation still have homemade food for most of their meals, we Indians still relish eating out and enjoy the various gastronomical delights. When cooking at home most of our raw materials are from the local markets, and even though we are food loving people, lack of knowledge or interest in understanding the nutritional viability of every product has created health issues over time. However, times are changing. The average Indian is becoming increasingly health conscious and are taking serious steps towards educating themselves about food quality. The internet has played a major role here.
With growing food scams and health issues owing to low quality of food, both as raw and packaged has made the consumers more sensitive towards Quality. But, that is still a very small percentage of this huge country. The ‘Food Safety & Standards Acts of India’ – FSSAI has framed rigorous measures and norms to control the rampant adulteration in food products. But how much can be really regulated with food stalls or restaurants opening every nook and corner, and home delivery services sprouting throughout the country is a big question. Though authorities are trying their best to ensure food safety in restaurants, hygiene still poses a serious concern.
As a consumer if you want to ensure that your regular Restaurant is serving you safe and quality food, here are 5 concerns that you can check for:
- Cleanliness of the overall restaurant and primarily the kitchen.
- Cleanliness of utensils and dishes on which food is served.
- Cleanliness of regular water provided and authenticity of package drinking water.
- Personal hygiene of staff, use of head caps, gloves, etc. and other operating procedures.
- Finally, a certificate to prove that raw materials and cooked food in the restaurant are tested from a FSSAI recognized and NABL accredited food testing laboratory.
On the other hand, if you are a restaurant owner, you definitely want to provide a good service and are definitely taking care of food safety guidelines. But safety often goes beyond control with obvious risks. A slight slip from your end can spoil your brand name and lead to loss of business and other serious ramifications. Here are some measures that as a restaurant owner you must incorporate:
- Promote hand washing and use gloves.
- Don’t let sick workers prepare food.
- Wash raw food materials properly at suitable temperatures.
- Cook to the right temperatures.
- Avoid bacterial contamination by ensuring cleanliness.
- Keep your kitchen well ventilated.
While these are some very basic steps that you can easily act on, you should also get your restaurant and restaurant food tested by an expert food testing laboratory to ensure total food safety and customer satisfaction.
MSK Food Testing Laboratories are compliant to ISO 9001:2015 and accredited by NABL (ISO/IEC 17025:2005), OHSAS 18001:2007, BIS and authorised by FSSAI. We can take care of most of your food safety requirements and test all your raw and cooked food.